Happy Fourth of July weekend! We hope you all have a fabulous long weekend and enjoy some fireworks and family time! Did you know these fun facts about the Fourth of July?
- Americans eat roughly 150 MILLION hot dogs on Independence Day! That’s enough to stretch from D.C. to L.A.!
2. The Declaration of Independence was actually signed on July 2nd, 1776.
3. In 1778, George Washington gave his soldiers a double ration of rum to celebrate the fourth – I guess this helps to make sense of the next one!
4. As of 2016, July 4th was the number one holiday for beers sales.
5. Nathan’s famous hot dog eating contest that occurs annually on July 4th began in 1916. The record was made in 2018 with 74 hot dogs with buns in just 10 minutes….
6. John Adams rejected multiple Fourth of July gatherings because he believed it should have been celebrated on the Second, when the Declaration of Independence was actually signed.
7. The fireworks tradition dates back to 1777! John Adams wrote in a letter to his wife, Abigail, that he wanted Independence Day to be celebrated with pomp, parade, shows, and “Illuminations.” He sent this when he thought the celebration would be on the Second.
8. How many of you wear clothing with a flag on it on the Fourth? Did you know that actually violates US Flag Code!? Might still wear mine…🤷🏼♀️
9. One World Trade Center was built to pay tribute to Independence Day and was designed to be exactly 1,776 ft high.
10. The Nation’s oldest Fourth of July Parade occurred in Bristol, Rhode Island in 1785.
What are you favorite Fourth of July traditions? We’d love to hear them!